Fried Calamari with Fra Diavolo Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 50 min
- Makes 4 Servings
- 1 can Contadina® Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves sliced in half
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 3 basil leaves washed, patted dry and chopped
- vegetable oil(for deep frying)
- 1 lb. squid cleaned, teneacles, bodies cut into 1/3 to 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
TO PREPARE THE SAUCE:
1. HEAT the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it is soft and lightly browned.
2. ADD the crushed tomatoes with their juices and then fill the empty tomato can 1/2 way with water and add the water to the tomatoes in the pan. Season with salt to taste and the red pepper flakes.
3. BRING to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook until thickened approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in chopped basil at very end, and cook for 1 minute more.
TO PREPARE THE CALAMARI:
1. POUR enough oil into a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium heat to 375 degrees F.
2. IN a medium bowl, combine all purpose flour, semolina flour, salt and pepper.
3. WORKING in small batches, dredge the squid in the flour mixture to coat. Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 1 minute per batch.
4. USING a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
5. SERVE with the Fra Diavolo Sauce on the side for dipping and lemon wedges.
Del Monte Products In This Recipe